8/7/10

George.

This is a work in progress, but also a tribute to my uncle, George Best, who died at age 44, 2 years ago. We will love you, always.






I'd like to thank you for drinking, and not shaving. The time you went to the war, with your heart left behind with her. I'd like to thank you for putting faith in love, even though it left you cold and alone. I'd like to thank you for giving up everything for someone else.


The way you hugged me and I could see the love in your eyes. The way you always smelled of your own scent of beer, tequila and something else. The way I now think of you whenever I see soldiers, or guitars, and uncles. The way you sounded like Dr. Hook, and used to sing his songs to us.

I'd like to thank Sylvia's Mother, for making you put in 40 cents every 3 minutes to the telephone.

Your raspy voice, the voice of hardships, and broken hearts, and lots and lots of beer, was always a comfort to us all. You were our protector. I'd like to thank you for loving me, and playing with me, and making me feel special.

But mostly, I'd like to thank you for the strength you gave me after you died. That night they woke me up and told me, on your little sister's wedding night, you were there and you gave me the strength to hold up my family. They couldn't stand on their own without you. I'd like to thank you for the memories, and the songs, and being the best uncle there ever was.

No comments:

Post a Comment